Riesling is a misunderstood varietal. It has a reputation for being too sweet and too full of alcohol.
I prefer the traditional German style. Think light, floral rieslings with intense lemon and lime flavours. The New Zealand terroir, particularly around Waipara, is well suited to this kind of riesling.
Here are some very affordable rieslings that you might try with seafood or Asian food, or just as an aperatif:
• Matua Valley Shingle Peak Marlborough Riesling 2007 ($13 at Pak'n Save). Lemony, easy drinking.
• Mud House Waipara Riesling 2008 ($12 at Woolworth’s).
• Montana Reserve Waipara Riesling 2006 ($13 at Pak'n Save). Not great depth, but still very good.
• Stoneleigh Marlborough Riesling 2007 ($17 at Pak'n Save). Yummy!
• Vidal Marlborough Riesling 2008 ($10 at Pak'n Save). Crisp. Tight. Youthful.